The Making of The Trust
History is never smooth or even. It goes in fits and starts, yet always progressing forward with an often imperceptible trend, a subtle, potent vector toward the future. The history of Merriweather Park can only be written in a decade or two, as work has just begun.
However, the birth of the Inner Arbor Trust on May 10, 2013, has a legacy that begins years earlier. The full tale of this odyssey is chockablock with heroes – true community patriots – who nurtured the circumstances for success, for the opportunity to develop the extraordinary and sacred ground that is Symphony Woods, in an extraordinary way.
Because of the visionary leadership of the Columbia Association President and Board of Directors, the committed advocacy of the Howard County Executive and County Council, and the personal and passionate support of hundreds more, the Inner Arbor Trust has both a tremendous gift and responsibility, for which we are both grateful and humbled.
Click the items below to access PDFs of the source documents. Press Play to listen to the short podcast.
- Howard County Plan for Downtown Columbia: "Merriweather-Symphony Woods will be a new kind of cultural park where the landscape becomes a setting for arts, cultural and civic uses", February 1, 2010
- Columbia Association Symphony Woods Park Plan presented to Howard County Design Advisory Panel (DAP), July 13, 2011
- Learn More About Proposed Plans for symphony Woods at January 31 Information Session, by Columbia Association, Columbia Patch blog post, January 29, 2013
- Formation of a Trust for Symphony Woods Development, recommendation by Columbia Association President Phil Nelson, February 13, 2013
- Inner Arbor Plan for Symphony Woods Park, Columbia Association ad in Columbia Flier, February 19, 2013
- Inner Arbor Trust, Inc., the not-for-profit developer of Symphony Woods, was formed in Columbia, Maryland, Trust Press Release, May 28, 2013